Vaughn Bryant has been a mental healthcare provider for over 30 years. His career has included work in college and universities, mental health clinics, hospitals, substance use disorder treatment centers, military hospital and pastoral care ministry. He is licensed by the Texas Department of State Health Services as a Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT-S), Professional Counselor (LPC-S) and Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC-CCS). He also holds supervisor status on all three of those professional license boards. Vaughn has a Bachelors of Psychology, Masters of Marriage and Family Therapy and a Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology and Christian Counseling.
People have symptoms, systems have problems.
Dr. Bryant identifies primarily as a Marriage and Family Therapist managing the unique dynamics of psychotherapy with couples and families. He has a systems theory orientation understanding that relationship systems adapt to stress in ways that often manifest as symptoms in the individual members of the system. Instead of seeing individuals as having disorders he conceptualizes problems as being held in the system requiring realignment of roles and re-calibration of relationships to bring about wellness.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy Works!
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a orientation toward psychotherapy that has theoretical roots in dialectical philosophy and involves the extensive utilization of practical skills to improve thoughts emotions and behavior. Dr. Bryant is a practitioner of Dialectical Behavior Therapy and is a master of DBT skills training.
The thesis implies the antithesis and harmony is in the synthesis.
One of the core concepts of dialectical philosophy is the integration of seemingly contradictory ideas into a meaningful whole. So much emotional suffering is caused by rigid and inflexible thought processes. Dialectical Behavior Therapy teaches the client practical skills in mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotional regulation and interpersonal effectiveness to achieve mastery of the mind.
Post Trauma Stress Resolution with Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy
Dr. Bryant is a practitioner of Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. EMDR is an evidenced based best practice for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). EMDR is a highly structured therapeutic intervention that harnesses the intrinsic human strength of resilience to metabolize the stress of trauma. EMDR is typically done in two hour sessions over a series of about 8-10 sessions.
Recover from Substance Use Disorder
Vaughn has a fundamental belief that people can fully recover from substance use disorder and achieve emotional, relational and spiritual wellness. Recovery from substance use disorder begins with a commitment to a lifestyle free from the influence of intoxicating substances. Many people with a substance use disorder find sobriety so uncomfortable that they are compelled to return to substance use to find relief from the discomfort of sobriety.
Quitting substance use does not solve the problem, it takes away a dysfunctional solution.
In order to experience the wellness of recovery, a person must find functional solutions to life problems. Therapy is the process by which Dr. Bryant leads people into fundamental changes in the way they orient themselves to the world around them. Therapy involves the deconstruction of useless ideas attitudes and emotions then reconstructing more useful ideas, attitudes and emotions that produce positive, desirable and useful outcomes in all areas of life.
Vaughn’s Mission Statement
LOVE. Yes, it is that simple LOVE. Love is the force that heals the heart and resurrects the soul.
Services Vaughn Offers
- Family Therapy with couples, children, adolescents and generations
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing – EMDR
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy – DBT
- Personality Disorder Treatment
- Substance Use Disorder Treatment Aftercare
- Pastoral Counseling
- Mental Health Diagnostic Evaluations
- Substance Use Diagnostic Evaluations
- Education Consultation – high school completion, college advising and career planning
- Emotional Support Animal Evaluations and Documentation
Supervision, Training & Consultation
- Clinical Supervision of Internship for LCDC, LPC and LMFT
- Clinical Training in DBT and EMDR
- Consultation and Training for Regulatory Compliance in Texas State Facility Licensing for Substance Use Disorder Treatment Programs
- Licensed as LPC since 1992
- Licensed as LMFT since 1995
- Licensed as LCDC since 2003
- Approved Clinical Supervisor since 1995
- Full-time vocational Pastoral Ministry for 17 years
- Adjunct college professor since 1989
- Licensed Professional Counselor and Approved Supervisor – Texas
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Approved Supervisor – Texas
- Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor and Certified Clinical Supervisor – Texas
Training & Continuing Education
- 40 hours of Continuing Education in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing Therapy in 2017
- 33 hours of Continuing Education in Dialectical Behavior Therapy in 2016
- Texas Association of Addiction Professionals, Houston Chapter
- National Association of Alcohol and Drug Counselors
- American Association of Christian Counselors
Before your first appointment with Vaughn, please print and fill out the appropriate form.
Call Vaughn today to set up your appointment! Tel: (832) 326-9995